Chemical Mixture Problems

Recently, I tutored a few students in math, and they were having the same problem: How to solve a chemical mixture equation?

Chemical mixture problems can pretty much always be solved with the equation: p1(v1) + p2(v2) = p3(v1 + v2), where "p" refers to the various percentages of the chemical involved and "v" refers to the various volumes of the chemical involved. The question should give either all three percentages as well as one volume, or both volumes as well as two percentages.

When solving a problem such as this, it is unimportant whether the percentage is listed as a number such as 75, or a decimal, such as 0.75, as long as the same method is used throughout the problem.

Here is a sample question below:
A chemist needs 150 milliliters of a 50% saline solution but has only 18% and 78% solutions available. Find how many milliliters of each that should be mixed to get the desired solution.
So, we can start equating variables with values: p1 = 18, p2 is 78, p3 = 50, and v1 + v2 = 150. Solving for v1, we have v= 150 - v2. Thus, 18(150 - v2) + 78(v2) = 50(150). After simplifying, we have the following: 2,700 - 18v2 + 78v2 = 7,500. Simplifying further: 60v2 = 4,800. Our answer? v= 80. However, we still need to find v1, so we substitute v2 back into our equation for v1, so v1 = 150 - 80. Our final solution leaves us with v1 = 70 mL (of the 18% solution), v2 = 80 mL (of the 78% solution).

Now say that we have the same question, given different values:

A chemist needs a 50% saline solution but has only 18% and 78% solutions available. If he has 70 mL of the 18% solution, find how many milliliters of the 78% that that he needs to get the desired solution.

So, again, we have very similar variables: p1 = 18, p2 is 78, p3 = 50, and v= 70. Thus, our equation looks like this: 18(70) + 78(v2) = 50(70 + v2). After simplifying, we have the following: 1,260 + 78v2 = 3,500 + 50v2. Simplifying further: 28v2 = 2,240. Our answer? v= 80 mL, and v1 + v2 = 150 mL total.

The one last type of this problem that one may see is that of the missing percentage:

A chemist can make a 50% saline solution with 70 mL of an 18% solution and 80 mL of a saline solution with an unknown percentage. What percent salinity does the second solution have?

Here we have the following variables: p1 = 18, p3 = 50, v= 70, and v= 80. Our equation is 18(70) + p2(80) = 50(70 + 80). Simplifying: 1,260 + 80p2 = 50(150). After another round of simplification, we have: 80p2 = 7,500 - 1,260. And again: 80p2 = 6,240; leaving us with the result that the percent salinity of the second solution is as follows: p2 = 78%.

For those who may need more math help than I can provide, Khan Academy has tutorials on many subjects, math among them, from Kindergarten all the way up to higher-level math such as Calculus!

I hope that this post is helpful to both aspiring engineers and struggling mathematicians alike. If any clarifications would aid understanding, please let me know via the comments section below or my contact page. Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. Excellent pieces. Keep posting such kind of info on your site.
    Im really impressed by your site.[X-N-E-W-L-I-N-S-P-I-N-X]Hello there, You've done an incredible job.
    I will certainly digg it and in my opinion suggest
    to my friends. I am confident they'll be benefited from this site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're a bunch of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your website provided us with helpful info to paintings on. You have done an impressive activity and our whole neighborhood will likely be thankful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring
    writers? I'm hoping to start my own blog soon but I'm a little
    lost on everything. Would you advise starting with
    a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that
    I'm completely confused .. Any ideas? Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I would definitely advise going with a free platform to start out, then upgrading to a paid site later. I personally am using Blogger by Google, and that has worked pretty well for me—Wordpress should be good, too. I do have a writing tips post at Essay Writing Tips, if that would help you at all.

      Delete
  4. Еxcellent post. I'm facing many of these issues as well..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot for being our instructor on this niche.
    My partner and i enjoyed your current article quite definitely and most of
    all cherished the way in which you handled the areas I regarded as controversial.
    You are always extremely kind towards readers much like me and aid me
    in my lifestyle. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really impressed with your writing skills as well as
    with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a
    great blog like this one these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is a free blog on Blogger by Google; I started with the base theme, then customized it to my standards. Although I will probably be recustomizing it in the future!

      Delete
  7. bookmarked!!, I really like your site!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there everyone, it's my first go to see at this web page, and piece of writing is really fruitful for me, keep up posting these
    types of content.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thiѕ blog was... һοw dߋ І ssay it? Relevant!! Finally
    I've found something that helped me. Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ꮐreetings from Florida! I'm bored at wоrk so I decided tо
    browse your blog on my iphone during lunch break.
    Ӏ гeally likе tһe knowledge you present hеre and cаn't wait to tɑke a look whеn I get home.
    I'm surprised at h᧐w fast our blog loaded oon mmy phone ..
    Ӏ'm nnot even using WIFI, juat 3Ԍ .. Anywаys, good
    blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For latest information you have to go to see internet and
    on the web I found this web page as a most excellent website for latest updates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it
    from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple
    adjustements would really make my blog shine.
    Please let me know where you got your theme.
    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My blog is on Blogger by Google, so I started with a base theme (I believe Contempo) and added my own touches.

      Delete
  13. I'm really inspired along with your writing abilities and also with the format
    in your weblog. Is that this a paid topic or
    did you customize it yourself? Anyway stay up the nice high quality writing, it's uncommon to look a nice weblog like this one
    these days..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was a free theme (Blogger by Google) and I added my own customizations.

      Delete
  14. Very rapidly this web site will be famous amid all blogging people, due to it's nice posts

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone!
    Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look
    forward to all your posts! Keep up the outstanding work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Remarkable! Its in fact awesome article,
    I have got much clear idea regarding from this paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it,
    you're a great author. I will make certain to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back very
    soon. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I believe that is one of the most important info for me. And i am happy reading
    your article. But wanna observation on some basic issues, The web site taste is wonderful,
    the articles is truly excellent :D. Excellent task, cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm really loving the theme/design of your site. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems?
    A number of my blog readers have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer
    but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any recommendations to help fix this issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far I haven't noticed any major problems. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions to help fix your problem. Sorry!

      Delete
  20. Woah! I'm really digging the template/theme of this blog.

    It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's very difficult to get that "perfect balance" between user friendliness and visual appearance.
    I must say that you've done a superb job with this.

    Additionally, the blog loads super quick for me on Chrome.
    Exceptional Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there, You have done a great job. I'll definitely
    digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they
    will be benefited from this site.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey there! I know this is somewhat off topic
    but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for
    my comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having
    difficulty finding one? Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Go to your Blogger settings; click on posts, comments, and sharing; scroll down; and make sure that "Show word verification" is marked as "yes". You can also add comment moderation on the same page so that you can approve or delete comments before readers ever see them.

      Delete
  23. Whoa! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Great choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just like the helpful info you provide on your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and take a look at again right here regularly.
    I'm quite certain I will be told many new stuff proper here!
    Best of luck for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted
    to say that I've truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.

    In any case I'll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your website.

    It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to
    come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme?
    Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment! No, I actually did it myself; I started with one of Blogger's themes and really customized it to get the look I wanted.

      Delete
  27. I do not even understand how I ended up right here, but I believed this post was
    once good. I don't know who you're however definitely you are going
    to a well-known blogger when you aren't already.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Everyone loves it when individuals get together and share views.
    Great site, continue the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  29. May I simply say what a relief to uncover a person that truly knows what they're discussing on the web.
    You actually realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
    More and more people have to look at this and understand
    this side of the story. I was surprised that you are not more popular given that
    you most certainly have the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I constɑntly spent my half an hoir too read this wweb
    site's posts everyԁay along with ɑ cup of coffeе.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I seriously love your blog.. Pleasant colors
    & theme. Did you create this site yourself?
    Please reply back as I'm attempting to create my own personal site
    and would like to find out where you got this from or exactly what the theme is named.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I did create it myself, on Google Blogger, using Contempo. I did add a few tweaks of my own, however.

      Delete
  32. Perfect piece of work you have done, this website is really cool with
    good information.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Parabolic Problems

Systems of Linear Equations

Back to Top